Sunday, December 15, 2013

RIP Peter O'Toole


He had a good run, living to the age of 81, but it's still tragic to learn today of the death of one of the most beloved actors of the 60's era, the wonderful Peter O'Toole. Ironically, just a few days ago one of my colleagues from Sheridan Animation and I were talking about O'Toole's films, What's New, Pussycat? and one of my favourites, How To Steal A Million, as we were both big fans. He had incredible style and charisma, and somehow made decadence appear pretty classy on the big screen! Last year I'd celebrated his 80th birthday here at The Cartoon Cave in this post.

So long to a talented and delightful old rascal!

4 comments:

Joshua Marchant (Scrawnycartoons) said...

Had a bittersweet morning reading about what a hell-raiser he used to be, in addition to being a fine actor.

Not to mention Eleanor Parker, Audrey Totter, and Joan Fontaine have all left us this week, in addition to O'Toole! I worry for Lauren Bacall...

Pete Emslie said...

I hadn't heard about Joan Fontaine's passing this week - thanks for that information, Joshua. So sad that so many of the legends are leaving us.

Peter Jakubinek said...

I think one of my favorite Peter O'Toole roles was when he played the old, hard-drinking, party-all-the-time actor, Alan Swann in the movie My Favorite Year. I guess it was a true portrayal of O'Tooles' life not to mention the lives of his buddies, Richard Harris, Richard Burton and Oliver Reed.

Pete Emslie said...

For a second there I thought maybe I was talking to myself. But I see that "Pete" is my old pal, Peter Jakubinek! Wow - that's a pleasant blast from the past!

Hey Pete, please send me an email with your contact info when you get a chance, please. I usually make a trek back to Ottawa every summer, and it sure would be great to see you if possible next time I'm in town. I looked at your pic on your blog - I'd have recognized that mug anywhere! :)