Saturday, December 12, 2009

Happy Birthday, Frank Sinatra!



Yes, it's that time of the year again, when The Cartoon Cave pays tribute to the greatest of them all, Frank Sinatra. I've written about Frank often on this blog, but he will always be celebrated here, as he typifies the entertainment from that glorious past that I love so much. In honour of his birthday, I sketched a new caricature of him, this time trying something a little different in the rendering technique. Instead of my usual brush and ink with Photoshop colour, I decided to draw him on toned paper with coloured pencils just to see how it would look. It may be a bit overdone in some areas, but I'm relatively happy with the result. I actually got the inspiration from having seen a similar approach by several of my very talented Sheridan animation students while reviewing their sketchbooks this past week.

The reference I used for this one was a scene from Tony Rome, in which Frank played the title character, a rough and tumble private detective operating in modern day Miami, Florida. The film also starred the delectable Jill St. John. Though I unfortunately can't embed the YouTube clip for this one, here is a link to the opening clip of Tony Rome, featuring the title song sung by Frank's little gal, Nancy Sinatra. Enjoy!

8 comments:

Jeremy said...

I love the Sinatra drawings. At Universal Studios, where I draw caricatures, the best holiday stuff is the songs with Bing and Frank! Funnily enough I was born in 80 but my father and mother raised me on the good stuff!

Tony DiStefano said...

WONDERFUL!

Guido Salimbeni said...

Hi Pete, I so love your art that i study every of your posts in this blog. This is great!!

have you try to flip orizzontaly this your last Sinatra drawing? Is there any chance the ear is not in the perspective line? I pretty sure i'm wrong or if I'm right you may have done it to enphasis the eyes expression.. sure you know how much i will appreciate your reply as i'm sure you know how much i like your art, ciao Guido

ALVARO CERVANTES said...

ITS REALLY GREAT PETE! LOVE THE WARM FEEL!
THERE IS REALLY SOMETHING NICE ABOUT NON-COMPUTER STUFF.
ALVARO

Tom said...

Great job! I Love it.

Joe Bluhm said...

GREAT Sinatra!

Carlo Lo Raso said...

Very, Very nice!!
The colored pencil is a great alternative. It breathes!

Best....Carlo.

AmyS said...

Love this sketch! I hope I will discover more like this as I continue reading my way through your blog.